home about contact tutorials tutorials tutorials

Monday, November 1, 2010

A Cup of Tradition

This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Folgers.


When I was first asked to write about traditions my mind was flooded with many fond memories. But, one memory in particular stood out , my Grandmother’s punch. I realize it might sound odd for punch to be a tradition but it really was. Every holiday I could depend on her punch to be set up on a lace covered card table. She would either make a fruit punch or a coffee punch ( the coffee was my favorite). It was always set out at least a half hour before the main meal started, sometimes even longer. The cups would be set out for everyone to help themselves to which I especially appreciated as a child. My cup would often be filled with more ice-cream than the actual beverage. And now, every time I see a punch bowl I can't help but think of happy holidays.

For this holiday season, I will be preparing the punch for the first time to keep this tradition alive along with the memory of my Grandmother. That’s just one of the many special virtues about traditions, they keep us connected to our roots and family. They allow us to share good memories of and with our loved ones. And now, I’m excited to share these memories with my children. They will get to see me make this traditional beverage, maybe even learn how to make it. I can only hope that they will pass this tradition down to their children one day.

At this point you might be wondering what this punch tastes like, right? Well, here's the recipe for you to find out. Enjoy!

Grace Episcopal Coffee Punch

serves 12


Ingredients:

8 cups prepared coffee

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla

2 cups milk

4 cups vanilla ice cream

1 cup whipping cream

nutmeg for dusting


Mix first four ingredients (coffee, sugar, vanilla, and milk) in a bowl and let chill. I like to put the bowl in the fridge to make the process go quicker.


When ready to serve, pour chilled coffee over ice cream.


Top with whip cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. If you want to add ice, I recommend making ice cubes out of coffee so the punch does not become diluted. Enjoy!

Do any of you have a special traditional food or drink you make for the holidays? Please share with the rest of us.

Folgers is having an essay contest where 5 people will win a trip home for the holidays. To learn more about it, visit the Folgers site.

Want to hear about more holiday traditions? Please check out what the other nine bloggers are sharing about their traditions on the BlogHer.com exclusive offers page.

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow. That sounds like the yummiest thing ever. Never heard of coffee punch, did she invent it? Love the coffee ice cube tip, that could make a huge difference for anything like iced lattes, iced coffee, etc. Thanks, I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    I don't know where my Grandmother got the recipe, but I'm pretty sure she didn't invent it. She most likely got it from her mother. She once told me that my Great Grandmother would spend her summers in Cape Cod cooking for rich people before she was married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks marvelous- a coffee punch is something I never had thought of before- what a wonderful tradition!

    Your recollection of childhood holidays was so touching. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing...too bad I'm lactose intolerant. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, you started on coffee when you were a kid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,

    I knew this question was going to come up. Yes, I was allowed to drink the coffee punch as a child and it was only served for the holidays and special occasions. This was the only time I would drink coffee as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this memory and tradition. Coming into this busy time of year this helps get the focus on family time, just being together:) I look forward to trying the recipe too!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! It sounds so good.

    My Nana always made a Wacky Cake (no milk or eggs) for all holidays. I have become the Wacky Cake maker for the family now. Everyone looks forward to Nana's Wacky Cake with Vanilla Icing. But just as you said about the lace covered card table, my Nana served her cake in a red cake pan.

    So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, oh wow! it looks so good. I will try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love coffee flavored ice cream. This sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really excited to try this! Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll have more than 2 coffee drinkers here at a time! Probably not until one of the kids parties in the summer :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather,

    You can always quarter the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this sounds delish! I'm gonna recruit some coffee drinkers so I can give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM!! I love punch, and I have NEVER thought about having coffee punch, but it sound awesome. I'm definitely going to have to try this!! Thanks for the great idea! you rock, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello :) I've recently found your blog and I have been having a great time reading it... I absolutely have to try this punch, I love milk, coffee and whipped cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm...I can smell it from here! And perhaps some Irish cream will do wonders too. But not for kiddos of course.
    My family's holiday-only food is chicken soup cooked with abalone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Naddez,

    Sweet potato pies is one of my absolute favorites for the holidays.

    Clara,

    I've never heard of chicken soup with abalone before but it sounds delicious. I've only had abalone once and it was fried in butter.

    P.S. I like your Irish Cream idea :)

    ReplyDelete